‘Tis the season for holiday socializing and eating. It’s also the season for packing on extra pounds from those yummy appetizers, tempting treats and sensational spirits. You can avoid the inevitable weight gain by practicing a few simple tips. Here’s how:
- Eat before you go. Don’t show up to a party hungry and attack the appetizer table. A small amount of food before you arrive helps you control how much food you consume at the event.
- Shift your social focus. Food should not be the center of every gathering. Participate in other activities such as playing games, dancing and engaging in conversations.
- Limit your alcohol intake. Excessive alcohol consumption packs on the pounds and can lead to overeating. Sip on one drink for a long time.
- Snack small. Delicious desserts and treats are plentiful during the holidays, but you don’t have to try them all. Sample some of your favorites on a small plate and walk away. Enjoy what you have and return later if you want more.
- Keep your body moving. The holidays are a busy time, but try to get 20 to 30 minutes of physical activity a day. Consider walking, climbing stairs or even parking further away from the entrance while you’re out shopping.
Your family’s health and weight should be the last thing on your mind during the holidays. Share these tips with them and everyone can enjoy the holidays guilt and weight-gain free.