The recent arctic blast is wreaking havoc across the nation, blanketing many states under several feet of snow. Finding yourself snowed in can be detrimental to your physical and mental health if you are not prepared. Here are 5 ways to prepare for a snow storm so your family remains safe and healthy this winter:
• Stockpile food and water. Snowfall can quickly make travel impossible. Since you could be inside for several days store enough food and water for at least a week. In case you lose power, make sure you have some prepared meals on hand. Also, bake cookies and stash away a few comfort foods around for the kids to enjoy.
• Cover yourself. If the power goes out, you will need several blankets and warm clothes for your family. Layers of clothing inside the house will be as important as outside.
• Fill your prescriptions. Inventory all of your medications to know how much you have on hand. Before the storm hits, refill any prescriptions you need. Stock up on over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen and cold remedies. Don’t forget your vitamins, too.
• Create family activities. Don’t let your family go stir crazy from being stuck inside. Turn idle time into family time by playing board games, reading books and watching movies together. If it’s safe, go outside and take pictures, build a snowman and enjoy your time together.
• Relax. Feeling trapped can create stress for everyone, so as much as possible, try to relax. Reduce your stress by reading or meditating and invite your kids to do the same.