A brand new year is upon us, and that signals a time to resolve to live better. But according to a University of Scranton study, only 8 percent of people actually keep the resolutions they make. Here are some tips to help you keep your goals:
- Start small. Difficult goals such as weight loss or adopting a healthier lifestyle can’t be accomplished over night. Break it down into smaller increments.
- Order your steps. Make a list of how you will accomplish your goal. If it’s to stop smoking, for instance, consider filters, E-Cigarettes, nicotine chewing gum and even medications to help you succeed.
- Chronicle your journey. A diary or blog will help you stay focused. It will also give you a place to mark your progress and setbacks.
- Celebrate small wins. Reward yourself for minor victories and with something that doesn’t undermine your progress.
- Work with a friend. Get an accountability partner. You need the support and encouragement of a friend or loved one.
- Seek counsel. Your resolution may require a behavior modification that is greater than you can handle. Consider speaking with a counselor.