Chronic knee pain is characterized by long term swelling, pain, and sensitivity in either or both knees. The knee joint is most vulnerable to damage and pain because it takes the full weight of your body.
You are more likely to experience knee pain as you get older, but you may also be susceptible to it due to excessive weight or athletic activity (e.g.: running).
The most common physical conditions that can cause knee pain are:
- Tendonitis: Pain experienced in the front of the knee and can be severe when taking the stairs or climbing.
- Osteoarthritis: Pain or inflammation that results from degeneration of the joint.
- Gout: Arthritis as a result of the buildup of uric acid.
- Bursitis: Inflammation or destruction caused by injury of the knee.
- Chondromalacia patella: Damaged cartilage found under the kneecap.
- Dislocation: Occurs in the kneecap.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: An inflammatory disorder that results to painful swelling and can cause deformity.
- Meniscus tear: Rupture that occurs in the knee cartilage.
Symptoms of chronic pain can vary from person to person. Common symptoms include:
- Sharp and shooting pain when in use.
- Constant aching or pain.
- An uncomfortable dull burning sensation.
Treatment options include physical therapy, injections, and medication. Other methods include icing the knee or over-the-counter pain relievers (such as acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen), and using a knee brace to provide support and stability to the joint during movement. Your doctor may recommend exercise to build more strength in the muscles supporting the knee.
In severe cases, surgery may be used to remove damaged cartilage or replace the knee joint. No matter the nature or duration of your knee pain, you should consult with your doctor to find the best method of treatment.
If you are seeking an alternate way to fight back against minor knee discomfort, FGXpress PowerStrips may be right for you.FGXpress PowerStrips are thin medical patches that adhere to users’ skin and provide temporary pain relief. Learn more aboutPowerStrips here.
This article was originally published by Murray Riggins, M.D. on MyMASC.com. Dr. Riggins offers cosmetic medical treatments at his Gadsden, Alabama practice, and he provides beauty and health products to customers across the country. Learn more about Instantly Ageless and FGXpress PowerStrips.